About 10 years ago, I decided a hallway in my house needed sprucing up, so I went to Home Depot and chose a raspberry color paint that looked lovely in the store and on the chip, but NOT, unfortunately, on my walls. And the more I tried to fix the mistake, the worse it became until I had to wallpaper over the entire mess. Eventually I hired a professional to strip the wallpaper, block out the mess underneath (no easy task!) and re-paint. What I did to save money by buying cheap paint and doing it myself turned into anything but…and I have still not lived this particular incident down in my own family. Ouch!
The moral of the story? It rarely pays to DIY when it comes to things outside of your area of expertise. Is it really the best use of your time (which equals money) to be designing a logo, a brochure or a website when you could be spending your valuable time doing what you do best – running your business? It makes more sense to hire an expert graphic designer to do what they do best – and here’s why:
- You don’t have the time. A brochure that exists only on your to-do list will never sell anything to a customer. Let designer take the project off your already full plate and get it done, and you get back to work.
- You don’t have the expertise. Do you have the time, money and patience to learn professional graphics programs? I can’t say this strongly enough – Microsoft Word is NOT a publishing program. Powerpoint is NOT a graphics program. You could spend hours (see #1) using these programs only to discover that your files are unusable for anything. Which brings us to…
- You save yourself headaches. You created a brochure in Publisher and with great anticipation, sent it off to the printer. Then the call comes – they can’t use the files you’ve provided – the colors are separated wrong, there’s no bleed, the images are low-resolution. Designers know the requirements for printing and web, so you don’t have to.
- You get fresh eyes looking at your project. Maybe your marketing project is still on your to-do list because you can’t really think of what to do. Graphic designers are creative folks and their business is coming up with fresh ideas. Collaborating with a designer presents you with a new perspective.
- Your marketing looks consistent and professional. Do you want to be the brand that looks amateurish compared to your competitors? The last thing you need is your logo, designs, and web marketing looking different from each other. Designers understand consistency helps your brand look more established, and they know how to implement it effectively.